Wednesday, April 2, 2008

E.R. ...

Um... for all who have heard and want to know details...Yes, I was admitted to the ER last night (Tues, 1 April)...

Long and short:
I had had lots of bad pain in my abdomen (kinda a side-ache/sore muscle/intense feeling) on the right side for a few days. It went a way all day Monday and then came back full strength on Tuesday. After putting up with it really hurting all day and through doing baptisms for the dead at the temple and having co-workers and such tell me it could be any number of scary things, we went to our wedding photographer's house (he's also a really good friend) to look at pictures and when we got there I broke down and asked him and Jon to give me blessing. Then, on the way home, I was in enough pain that I finally gave in and tried to call my doctor's physician-on-call. When he didn't answer, Jon flipped a U-ie and we headed out to the Urgent Care center before it closed in ten minutes. We got there, I told them my problem, the secretary told me to go to the ER, I said I really didn't think it was that necessary, so we filled out forms (which I hate cause they always manage to stress me out) and then went to see the doctor. We didn't even sit down, he basically just had us come in, talked to me about my pain for a few minutes and pretty much said that it could be a number of serious things and I needed to go the the ER to figure out what it was because as far as the abdomen goes, there isn't much he can do especially considering how serious it can be.
So, almost reluctantly except that I hurt so much, we went to the ER (Jon driving fast cause he was anxious for me not to be in pain anymore). My dad so lovingly came down to meet us there since I was basically horrified to actually be going to the dreaded ER I'd never actually been to, only seen in movies, and ended up sitting in the waiting room for 2 hours...and of course Jon was there at my side the whole time. (I have such wonderful men in my life!!)
After I got in my exam room the nurse came in, then the doctor (and after both clarified a few times each with me that I was in fact not pregnant...) he determined that it could be a range of things and that I needed a CT scan and urine test to determine what was wrong. In the mean time, they gave me Morphine (one of the weirdest sensations in the entire world I decided) and another drug to counter the nausea the Morphine would cause (ugh.. I really don't love IV's).
So all this time I was trying really hard to just laugh things off and just stay optimistic, but once I got rolled on the gurney into the CT scan room and had to put my arms over my head and go through that machine and such, ooh, I broke down. I was pretty much really scared and overwhelmed and probably had my hormones a bit out of whack with all the stuff they pumped through me, but needless to say, I cried good and hard and poor Jon had to just sit and watch and feel helpless :( The weirdest part was after the scan, my body was shaking like none other! I guess I was super oober cold, though I didn't feel physically cold, but my teeth were chattering and my body spasming. It was intense. I finally calmed down after the nurse put a hot blanket over me and my body went back to almost normality.
Well we got back to the room and hung out for about half an hour (I slept cause that Morphine put me out!) while we waited for the results and CT scans.
When the doctor did come in the first time he had good news: NO SURGERY-WORTHY PROBLEMS! I didn't have kidney-stones, or appendicitis, or ulcers, or a cist or anything, which was great to hear!!
The second time he came in was with the urine test results (sorry if this seems awkward...) and I found out I had really bad Urinary Tract Infection (I had no idea...) and had spread up my side and had infected my kidneys! Ugh... so I got Lortab for the pain, and Cipro for the UTI and I'm good to go.

Sorry for the scare and thanks all for caring and thinking of me! It was a very scary experience for both of us but I'm glad to be ok! Thanks again! Jon and I love you all!

3 comments:

Rebecca Adams said...

Scary! I'm glad you're doing better now! I once thought I had a UTI, but I learned in my preparation for marriage class at BYU (before I got married) that Cranberry juice can help clear away UTIs. So... when I thought I had it, I drank that stuff (some brands are yucky, so be careful!) and things got better after a while (nothing TOO serious). I guess I'll never find out if I actually had a UTI, but cranberry juice can be good. :)

Jon and Jessica said...

Yeah! I had been told that years ago too so I had actually already been drinking loads of Cranberry juice trying to flush things out... but apparently I was too late or something! Lame :)

Melissa said...

That sounds like the pains I had last year. I couldn't figure out what it was, so I went to a few doctors. They did all sorts of tests and said nothing was wrong. Then I went to my OBGYN doctor and she said I had a UTI. I decided normal doctors have issues and to only go to the ER when I have or might have a broken bone. :)